Browse By Migrations Geography Timeline Source Materials Education Materials Search
Haitian Immigration : Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries
First ImagePrevious ImageImage GalleryNext ImageLast Image
view larger imageview larger image request a copy request a copy

Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, Photographs and Prints Division

Harper's Weekly, August 5, 1865

Le Cap

Le Cap, a port city in northern Haiti, was claimed by the Spanish in the fifteenth century but seized in 1670 by French buccaneers and named Le Cap Français. For the next century, it remained the capital of the French colony until it was replaced in 1770 by Port-au-Prince. Locally known as Le Cap, the city had an excellent harbor and strategic location, which made it central to the sweeping events of the Haitian Revolution. The French army sent by Napoleon in 1802 to regain the colony and reestablish slavery seized Le Cap and deported a constant stream of "troublesome" men, women, and children of African descent to France between June 1802 and the summer of 1803. With Haiti's independence in 1804, the city was renamed Cap Haïtien.

Hide indexing information
Image ID: 1216461
Title: A street in Cape Haytien.
Source: Print collection.
Location: Photographs and Prints Division, Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture
Subjects: Cap-Français (Haiti)
Cap-Haïtien (Haiti)
Saint-Domingue

Keywords: Cap Haitien
France - Colonies
Haiti
First ImagePrevious ImageImage GalleryNext ImageLast Image
Home About Glossary The New York Public Library
Privacy Policy | Rules & Regulations | Using the Internet | Website Terms & Conditions

© The New York Public Library, 2005.