Browse By Migrations Geography Timeline Source Materials Education Materials Search
The Consequences of the Haitian Migration
< The Civil WarThe Consequences of the Haitian MigrationView all images >
First ImagePrevious ImageImage GalleryNext ImageLast Image
view larger imageview larger image request a copy request a copy

Louisiana Office of Tourism [2287IMG0039]

Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop

This famous New Orleans landmark was built sometime between 1788 and 1803. It is an example of the popular four-room cottage designed to comply with the building codes enacted after the disastrous fire of 1788, which destroyed most of the city. Similar cottages were common in Haiti and the French West Indies. The post-and-brick walls were originally covered with a layer of stucco to help fireproof the building. Folk history links the Haitian refugee pirate Jean Lafitte to the dwelling and also identifies Lafitte as the owner of a nearby blacksmith shop. George Washington Cable, the city's best-known literary artist of the Gilded Age, immortalized Lafitte's "blacksmith shop" in his fictional portrayals of Creole New Orleans.

Show indexing information
First ImagePrevious ImageImage GalleryNext ImageLast Image
Home About Glossary The New York Public Library
Privacy Policy | Rules & Regulations | Using the Internet | Website Terms & Conditions

© The New York Public Library, 2005.